RF/Radiated Immunity Testing
What is RF/Radiated Immunity Testing
In our industry, Testing RF/radiated immunity is commonly done in a controlled environment, with the goal of passing a compliance standard. However, with 5G, IOT, and the overall increasing use of many wireless bands, radiated immunity tests could be performed in other scenarios to assess the reaction of infrastructure. Typically, test levels from a standard should ensure proper operation of your product and other electronics around.
Is Radiated Immunity Testing Safe?
Generating electromagnetic radiation is the most hazardous test method in the EMC/EMI world. Utilizing unreliable equipment, RF enclosures or bad testing practices can increase the risk of exposure to electromagnetic fields, AKA radiation. So be safe, smart and patient. :P
Non EMC RFI Applications
- Workplace Safety
- Site Validation (Cell towers, Railway, etc)
- RF Interference Identification
- Environmental Surveying
- size of the EUT
- representative operating conditions of the EUT
- whether the EUT shall be tested as table-top or floor-standing, or a combination of the two
- for floor-standing equipment, the height of the support
- the type of test facility to be used and the position of the radiating antennas
- the type of antennas to be used
- the frequency range, dwell time and frequency steps
- the size, shape and height of the uniform field area
- whether any partial illumination is used the test level and modulation to be applied
- the type(s) and number of interconnecting wires used and the interface port (of the EUT) to which these are to be connected
- the performance criteria which are acceptable
- a description of the method used to exercise the EUT.
The largest time consumption is to either;
a) manually run field calibrations from the signal generator or
b) write your own automation software.
The EMC Shop can recommend and rent radiated immunity software to make the setup and calibration smooth and easy.
RF Immunity Testing Equipment:
Notice: This information is a brief, elementary overview for someone looking to perform precompliance RF/radiated testing in an effort to pass EN/IEC 61000-4-4. For step by step test procedures you will need to purchase the test standard for detailed instruction.
Radiated immunity application support, pricing, lead times.